St. Stephen Deacon & Martyr - EST. 1992
1700 George Dieter, El Paso, Texas 79936
St. Stephen Deacon & Martyr Parish
El Paso – 1992
St. Stephen Church was founded on July 9, 1986 by Bishop Peña. At first the community gathered at Desert View Middle School for Sunday Mass. St. Stephen Deacon & Martyr was established as a parish in 1992. Construction of the first phase of the parish facilities including the parish hall, offices and classrooms began on July 1, 1991. Bishop Peña blessed the hall for worship on January 12, 1992. The second phase of the construction of additional classrooms soon followed. Bishop Ochoa broke ground for the third phase, the construction of the church, on December 2, 2007. Under the pastoral care of Father Marcus McFadin, the actual construction began in January 2008 and was completed in January 2009. The first celebration of the Eucharist in the church was on Saturday, January 24, 2009 presided by Father McFadin with a large number of clergy present and standing room only for the parishioners. Bishop Ochoa presided at the Rite of Dedication on Friday, August 21, 2009.
St. Stephen has been served by three pastors: Rev. Stephen Peters (1986-1988), Rev. Juventino Celino (1988-2001), and Rev. James Marcus McFadin since 2001. St. Stephen Deacon & Martyr serves a growing congregation of 2,700 families and offers parishioners a number of opportunities for participation in the faith life of the community including the Eucharistic Ministry, Communion to the Sick, Knights of Columbus, Junta de Oración, Alcoholics Anonymous, Sociedad Apostólica, Lectors, Ministers of Hospitality, Adult Bible Study, Prayer Shawl, Comunidades de Base, Marriage Preparation, St. Vincent de Paul, Altar Servers, Just Faith, Young Adults, Bereavement, a vibrant Music Ministry, and ACTS. The first ACTS Retreat for Women in the Diocese of El Paso was held at St. Stephen. The parish also hosts an annual Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration and food drive each January.
Today, the religious formation program averages 600 students and includes First Communion, Confirmation preparation, a Continuing Formation Program for students between First Communion and Confirmation, RCIA, and Adult Confirmation. The church is known for its nine original tapestries by famed artist John Nava who designed the tapestries in the Los Angeles Cathedral. These tapestries portray St. Stephen, Our Lady of Guadalupe, San Juan Diego, San Pedro de Jesús Maldonado, San Martin de Porres, St. Katharine Drexel, St. Kateri Tekakwitha, St. Rose of Lima, and Servant of God Dorothy Day. The Blessed Chapel at St. Stephen houses a relic of San Pedro de Jesús Maldonado, ordained at St. Patrick Cathedral and martyred in Chihuahua, Mexico in 1937.